Thursday, June 18, 2009

Suboptimal Urinal Design

I began working on Monday (IT stuff like helpdesking, just like last summer). Today, I went to the restroom to take a leak in the late afternoon, and I discovered that whoever designed the urinals in the restroom could have designed it better. Usually when go to the restroom to take a leak, there are small puddles of water on the ground around the urinal. I used to think these were due to people peeing on the floor (though I'm not completely ruling out that possibility), but I saw today that the urinal itself pees all over the floor.

Here's what happened: I went to the restroom to take a leak. A dude before me just finished and hit the flush button above the urinal (perfectly normal and intuitive). He then walked away and proceeded to wash his hands (also perfectly normal and intuitive), while I kind of stood there and watched the urinal flush so I can pee in it afterwards. Now, these urinals are just like those in Cornell's first floor Upson Hall: automatic-flushing but still have the manual flush button. When you hit the flush button, it flushes, but then it flushes again after you walk away from the urinal. At work, the unintended second flush apparently causes a water overload in the urinal bowl, so water starts pouring over the edge, resulting in small puddles of water on the ground around the urinal. This is equally uninviting to wade in compared to the hypothetical case where people pee on the floor.

Now, I understand that a manual override is necessary (and probably a good idea) to automated systems. In fact, there was some discussion about this and flak sent in Airbus' direction after the recent mysterious Air France flight disappearance (apparently Airbus didn't have a manual override in the automated flight system? Or so I read). However, in my opinion, optimal design would automatically shut off the automated system when the manual override is engaged. In the case of the urinal, this would mean one flush per pee session, whether you flush the urinal yourself or let the motion sensor do it.

One last thing: having Dyson Airblades to dry hands in the restrooms would be awesome. Just my opinion.

1 comment:

usumbs said...

Haha. I didn't realize it was $1,500.

Also glad you didn't upload a photo because otherwise, it'd be inappropriate for work. Haha.