Sunday, December 6, 2009

Epic week

Last week was a pretty eventful week.
  • We won the 2009 Mechatronics competition (first place out of 40-something teams) with our Roomba motor-driven robot. Our record for the competition was 7-0, with 2 match losses and 1 match declared a rematch after our epic comeback from what appeared to be a loss. The Roomba motors gave us unparalleled speed and torque, with some matches won in ~4 seconds. Our opponent in the final round was very similar in design (structure, algorithms), except they used the stock motors provided in lab (I think).
  • Our MAE 4300 final presentation was on the same day as the Mechatronics competition, except the presentation was at 8 AM. I was up until 6 AM working on the Mechatronics robot, and intended to get up at 6:45 so I could get ready for the presentation (shower, put on a suit, etc.). Unfortunately, I somehow missed my alarm, but magically woke up at 7:35. Still mostly asleep, I walked into the bathroom about to take a shower. That's when I realized that I had a final presentation in 25 minutes. Good thing is that the professor was very impressed with our presentation, even though I was still mostly asleep.
  • Wednesday night I stayed up figuring out microcontroller code for the robot, and slept for 2 hours. On Thursday I took a half hour nap in the afternoon, and slept 1.5 hours at night. This brought my 2-day sleep total to 4 hours. Friday night I slept for 16 hours, and it was awesome.
  • Fluids/Heat Transfer Laboratory is over. The course consisted of 6 labs and 6 lab reports. Lab report page counts: 23, 19, 48, 43, 45, and 22.

No comments: