Sunday, July 12, 2009

Gmail Housekeeping

I just cleaned out my Gmail mailbox a bit. I went from 893 MB to 620 MB by deleting a bunch of messages that I sent with picture attachments. Usually when I send mail with large attachments, I like to keep it in my mailbox in case I need to access the attachment later, but after a while (like a few years later) I realize that I don't need them anymore, so I delete them for good. I guess in the future I could just send and delete from my Sent Mail box. Also, I guess I should look into archiving mail next so my inbox doesn't look so cluttered.

3 comments:

Bruce said...

I just hope that gmail increases my capacity faster than I use it up.

Hans said...

Good point. Unfortunately, the rate of capacity increase since Gmail's inception looks like a 1/x function.

usumbs said...

This is what Gmail tells me now: "You are currently using 3411 MB (46%) of your 7348 MB." I have 15,175 messages. I don't usually delete anything; I save and archive too much.

I just realized that you can probably, once the primary inbox is filled, automatically forward to another address. So, sending to asdf@gmail.com gets full, then you can set up forwarding to asdf2@gmail.com and then delete on the primary account. Hmm.